PE and Sports Premium Allocation and Offer
The primary school sport premium is £150 million per annum of new government funding jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. Investment will go direct to individual primary school Head Teachers and is designed to support improvements in the quality and depth of PE and school sport in addition to the new curriculum through to at least 2017-8.
The Department for Education vision is that all pupils leaving primary school are physically literate and have the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport. The objective is to achieve self-sustaining improvement in the quality of PE and sport that delivers high quality provision of a balanced and holistic PE and school sport offer including;
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – kick-starting healthy active lifestyles
- The profile of PE and sport being raised across the school as a tool for whole school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Individual schools will receive £16,000 per annum and £10 per pupil, which they can use to support these outcomes through various options including; release of staff for CPD, employing specialists to work alongside teachers, cluster work with other schools and partnerships, transport, equipment, hall and pool hire etc.